Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Metal Man, Rosses Point, Co. Sligo.

The Jack B. Yeats book linked in the previous post also yielded this curious illustration. It's really reminiscent to me of a Winsor McCay illustration which might just be a reflection of the style of the times. When I saw this illustration I wondered what the hell was I looking at. I thought it was some fellow on a sea pillar acting the maggot to his friends but then I saw it was called The Metal Man. A quick google later and I found out that Ireland has not one but two metal men (not to be confused with metallers, of which there are many). The one illustrated stands at Rosses Point, Co. Sligo and has done since 1821. You can see him here. His twin stands atop a pillar guarding Tramore, Co. Waterford. You can see him and find out more about him here. I have no idea how well known either entity is but it's the first I'd ever heard of them seeing that illustration so if they are well known please excuse my Pale insularity.

No comments:

Post a Comment