Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Corkcentric Print Ads (1956)

The ads below come from Blarney Magazine, Summer, 1956. It's not a publication I know anything about other than what I can glean from the sole issue I found in my possession. The advertisements in it have a simple elegance. These ads, mainly for Cork based companies, also give an insight into what consumer items were available in Ireland in the middle of the last century. Not being overly familiar with the People's Republic I can't tell if any of the advertised local firms still exist although of course Paddy Whiskey and Smithwick's Ale are still available in Cork as elsewhere. The most peculiar ad, to my mind, has to be for The Leprechaun cafe, illustrated as it is with a seemingly angry, malevolent leprechaun.





















2 comments:

  1. Had never realised the Liam MacCarthy Cup (awarded to the All-Ireland hurling champions) was based on a 'mether' until reading that Paddy ad. Interesting...

    http://s2.thejournal.ie/media/2013/07/the-liam-mccarthy-cup-3092012-2-390x285.jpg

    ReplyDelete